INSTITUTE OF PHARMACOLOGY
MADURAI MEDICAL COLLEGE, MADURAI
The Department of Pharmacology was established in 1954.The Postgraduate course was introduced in 1966.Dr.M.N.GURUSAMY MBBS.MS was the first HOD in the department followed by Dr.Lalitha Kameshwaran MBBS.Phd.Dr.P.NARASIMMAN ,MBBS.MSc was the first Director, in the Institute of Pharmacology,Madurai medical college, followed by Dr.S.VEMBAR,MBBS.MSc .This Institute has got recognition for Phd course.
* Courses handled
* Course duration
* Selection procedure
* Affiliated University
* Academic Curriculum
* Academic schedule
* University Examination detail
* CME Programmes
M.B.B.S – 155students per year (approx.)
M.D (Pharmacology) - 3 Students per year
M.D(Pharmacology) - 3 years
M.B.B.S. Degree from any Indian university recognized by the Medical Council of India & and obtained permanent registration from any of the State Medical Councils
Selection of students for admission to M.D (Pharmacology)course is
a) based on the rank obtained in the Tamilnadu Post Graduate Entrance Examination for 50% of seats for students who have completed their M.B.B.S from Tamilnadu and
b) for the remaining 50 % of seats, based on rank obtained in the All India Post Graduate Entrance Examination conducted by DGHS, Newdelhi
The Tamil Nadu DR.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai.
A candidate upon successfully qualifying in the M.D. (Pharmacology) examinations should be able to
* Teach Pharmacology and Therapeutics to students of medical and allied disciplines
* Independently plan and undertake research related to drugs (basic as well as Clinical Pharmacology) and communicate the findings in conferences / journals.
* Set up therapeutic drug monitoring, ADR monitoring, therapeutic audit and drug information services.
* Plan and conduct toxicity studies and clinical trials.
* Educate the public about use and misuse of drugs.
* Supervise breeding and upkeep of small laboratory animals.
* Act as medical advisor in a pharmaceutical house.
History of Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, Adverse Drug Reactions, Drug Interactions, Pediatric Pharmacology, Geriatric Pharmacology, Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation. Dosage calculation in special situations, Factors modifying drug action, Pharmacogenetics, Drug delivery systems and Fixed dose combinations, Gene therapy, Sources of drugs. Principles of Toxicology, Principles of prescription writing.
Systemic Pharmacology, Chemotherapy and Therapeutics
Pharmacology of drugs acting on autonomic, peripheral and central nervous systems; cardiovascular, endocrine, respiratory, renal, gasterointestinal and haemopoietic systems and treatment of diseases affecting these systems; Pharmacology of anti-microbial and anti-parasitic drugs and treatment of infective diseases; cancer chemotherapy, immuno-pharmacology and ocular Pharmacology, Dermatological pharmacology vitamins, Heavy metals and antagonists, Miscellaneous.
Experimental Pharmacology, Bioassay
Experimental methodologies involved in the discovery of drugs (in vivo, in vitro ex vivo). Animal handling and animal care. Methods of anaesthetizing animals and methods of euthanasia. Restraining and blood collection methods. Drug screening methods involved in the evaluation of anti-ulcer, antidepressant, anti-anginal, anti-hypertensive, anti-arrhythmic, anti-diabetic, anti-cataract, anti-platelet,ticancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-diarrheal, anti-epileptic, analgesic, anti-thyroid, antipyretic, antiglaucoma, anti-hyperlipidemic, anti-asthmatic drugs and cough suppressants. Drug screening methods used in screening anti-fungal, anthelmintic, antibacterial and antiviral agents. Drug screening methods for heart failure, posterior pituitary, adrenal, steroid (gluco & mineralo), testicular, parathyroid, ovarian, thyroid hormones, Methods involved in testing teratogenicity, carcinogenicity and organ toxicities in animals. Bio-assay and dose response relationship.
Clinical Pharmacology and Biostatistics
Principles of therapeutics, Individualisation of drug therapy, Drug regulatory systems, Placebo, Drug development, Pharmacoeconomics, Pharmacoepidemiology, Therapeutic drug monitoring, Ethics of clinical trial, Ethical committee, Drug utilization studies, Essential drug concept and rational drug use. Patient compliance.
Ist year of the course will have the following schedule
* Getting acquainted with the Pharmacology department.
* Attending all the classes.
* Introduction to Dissertation including statistical classes.
* Visits to Pharmaceutical Industries and Toxicology centres.
* Selection & Planning of Dissertation.
* Submitting the topic to the University.
II & III year of the course will have the following schedule
* The Practical Training as specified by the M.C.I norms will be given, depending upon the availability of animals & other facilities.
* The student will acquire skills
i) To conduct practical classes for the U.Gs.
ii) To take lectures for the U.Gs.
iii) To plan an undergraduate teaching programme & to set questions including MCQs.
* The student will participate & contribute to other academic actrvities of the department like Journal clubs, Seminars and CME programmes. Students will be, in addition, encouraged to attend conferences, workshops and present papers in scientific sessions
University Examination details
* The PostGraduate Examination shall be in three partsThesis, to be submitted by each candidate at least 6 months before the date of commencement of the theory examination.
* Theory: There shall be four theory papers - as given separately.
* Practicals and Viva/Oral
Continuing Medical Education Programmes
- DIATRONICS – DIABETES MELLITUS
- RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- NEWER CURRICULUM FOR POSTGRADUATES
- PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS
- THERAPEUTIC USES OF MAGNESIUM
- MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES
- NEWER DRUGS IN SCHIZOPHRENIA
- ADENOSINE AND ITS THERAPEUTIC SIGNIFICANCE
- INVERSE AGONISM AND ITS THERAPEUTIC SIGNIFICANCE
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- CHEMICAL POISONING
The Ph.D students graduated from this college :
- B-Pharm - 70 / year(approx.)
- D Pharm – 60 / year (approx.)
- BSC Nursing – 50 / year (approx.)
- Diploma Nursing – 160 / year (approx.)
Director & Professor 1
Associate professors 4
Assistant Professors 6
Lab Technician 6
Lab Attender 1
Hospital worker 1
- The anti convulsant effect of CISSUS QUADRANGULARIS in comparison with phenytoin.
- Study of COSCINIUM FENESTRATUM COLEBR on the blood glucose level of allox an induced diabetes rats in comparison with glibenclamide
- Study if analgesics and anti inflammatory effects if venalafaxine in comparison with Aspirin
- Study on diuretic efficacy and anti inflammatory effects if chloroform extract of MORINGA OLEIFERA.
Comparison of anticonvulasant activity if HEMIDESMUS INDICUS with Phenobarbotine
- Comparison of analgesic and anti inflammatory effect of AQUEOUS and EHTNALOIC EXTRACTS OF ASPARAGUS RECEMOSUS with aspirin
- A study on anxiolytic, sedative, hypnotic activities of aqueous extracts of MORINGA CITRIFOLIA fruit in mice
- a study on anti hyperglycemic and hypolipidemic effect of NIGELLA SATIVA in alloxan induced diabetic rats
- A study on anti anxiety effect of ondansetron
- Hepato protective effect of melatonin
- anti hypertensive and hypolipidiemic effect of telmisartan
- A study on sedative hypnotic and anxiolytic effect of clonidine
- Anticonvulsant effect of propranolol
- chronological study related to doxorubicin and bone marrow suppression
- Adverse reaction of steroids in patients with nephritic syndrome
On going research :
- Comparative study between acebrophylline and theophylline in patients with bronchial asthma.
- Pattern of use and adverse reaction to anti snake venom
- Efficacy of pioglitazone in mobilizing visceral fat in type 2 diabetic patients
- Pattern of adverse drug reaction in psychiatric patients.
- Efficacy of melatonin in potentiating the anti convulsant effect of phenobarbitone in rats.
- Efficacy and toleralability of drugs used in rheumatoid arthritis
- Clinical profile and pharmacotherapy of poisoning cases in a tertiary care hospital
PRIZES AND AWARD WON:
PRIZES AND AWARDS CONSTITUTED BY THE DEPARTMENT :
Awards for distinction holders in university examination