|INSTITUTE OF CHILD HEALTH & RESEARCH CENTRE
SHORT HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT:
The department of Pediatrics was started in the year 1958 in the Govt. Rajaji Hospital attached to Madurai Medical College, Madurai with 1 Chief and 4 Asst. Professors. The department had a out patient dept., diarrhea room, Nutrition Rehabilitation room, Immunization room and Medical wards. .As the outpatients were increasing the thought of a separate block to accommodate Paediatric Medicine and Paediatric Surgery wards was mooted. And a Foundation stone for a separate Pediatric Block was laid on 29.08.1971 with the magnanimous donation from Red Cross Society of India, Madurai Branch. The block has a stone foundation to house 6 floors to keep all Pediatric wards with Super Specialties. The OP block was shifted to the new block in August 1977. The first floor was completed in 2000 and Pediatric Surgery ward is also shifted to the first floor. A separate Newborn ward was carved out from the Maternity block and renovated and it caters to the needs of the Preterm children and outborn sick children.
In 1965, Postgraduate Diploma course, Diploma in Child health was started with an intake of 2 candidates in every academic year and in 1967 Postgraduate Degree course MD (Paediatrics) with an intake of 2 candidates annually.
The dept. was upgraded as Institute of Child Health & Research Centre (ICH & RC) in August 2003. And at present our department has been sanctioned with 12 DCH seats and 6 MD seats per year. We cater to the needs of the children from Madurai District but also from the neighbouring Districts viz., Sivagangai, Virudhunagar, Dindigul and Trichirappalli.
The Director is the Head of this Institute of Child Health & Research Centre, Govt. Rajaji Hospital, Madurai with 6 Professors and 13 Asst. Professors.
Type of Course – Medical -- Paediatrics subject for M.B.B.S
Name of the PG Course offered :
Post Graduate Higher Speciality D.M. Neonatology
Postgraduate Degree M.D . Paediatric Medicine
Postgraduate Diploma in Child Health DCH
MBBS after completion of CRRI
DM - Duration - 3 Years
MD - Duration - 3 years
DCH - Duration - 2 years
Sanctioned No. of Seats:
DM - Neonatology - 1
MD – Paediatric Medicine - 6
DIPLOMA IN CHILD HEALTH (DCH) – 12
The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai.
50% Seats All India Medical Entrance Examination
50% Seats State Postgraduate Entrance Exam (Multiple choice questions – objective type of the
MBBS Standard )
University Examination Details:
Theory Examination – 3 papers
Clinical Examination – case presentation , ward rounds, log book,
Dissertation and OSCE
Perinatal Mortality Meet
Clinical Society Meeting
- Recurrent Herpes Zoster in Early Childhood, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Volume 74, August 2007, 74-76 - Poorana Ganga Devi.N, Nataraja Rathinam.S, Ranjani Ramachandran and Soumya Swaminathan.
- Rapid Progression of HIV infection in Infancy - Indian Pediatrics, Volume 46, January 2009, 53-56 - Poorana Ganga Devi. N, Shenbagavalli.R, Ramesh.K, Nataraja Rathinam.S, Soumya Swaminathan.
- A case of Mc Cune Albright syndrome – case report published in the Indian Journal of Practical Paediatrics – June 2008
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in childhood TB Lymphadenopathy – Indian Journal of Pediatrics – Balaji.J, Sundaram.S.S., Rathinam.S.N., Rajeswari,P.A, Vasanthakumar,M.L – Indian J Pediatiar:2009, 76(12):1241-1246.
- Hypomelanofif – Ito with Possellated Fundus and Polymicro** in Indian Pediatrics - Balaji.J, Rajeswari.P.A, Indian Pediatrics 2010(47), Page 449-450.
- Clinical and Radiological Profile of neuro cysticerosis in South Indian children – accepted for publication in Indian Journal of Pediatrics, published in online http;//dx.boi.org/10.1007/f 12098-011-0406-0.
PRIZES AND AWARDS:
01. SOUNDARAJAN MEDAL for Undergraduates - College level.
02. PROF. J.VISWANATHAN Medal for MD., Postgraduates – State Level
03. PROF. J.VISWANATHAN Medal for DCH., Postgraduates – State Level
PRIZES AND AWARDS WON:
Dr.T.Nagarajan - Effectiveness of ‘O’ dose Polio in children - Dr.B.R.S Gold Medal Award best P.G. Award 1991 – State Conference at Chennai.
Dr.Venkatasubramanian - Effect of Spinuluna in pre school children – Dr.James Flett evaluation Award in Social Pediatrics 2003 – Mumbai Pedicon, National Conference.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in childhood TB lymphadenopathy – Dr.V.Balakrishna Raju Award – Tamil Nadu IAP State Conference 2008.
- Clinical and Radiological Profile of Neuro cysticerosis in South Indian children – Dr.B.R.Santhana Krishnan (Teaching) Award - Tamil Nadu IAP State Conference 2009.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in childhood TB lymphadenopathy - Original Research Award for the Best PGs Thesis by Indian Journal of Pediatrics First prize 2007.
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in childhood TB lymphadenopathy – ICMR Best PGs thesis grant.
- Hypomelanofif ITO – Best presentation in IAP Dermatology Conference – 2006.
1. Clinical & outcome of children on guidelines of ART – Dr.V.B.R. Award 2008 – State Pedicon, Madurai.
OTHER PRESENTATION IN CONFERENCES:
- Enteric Fever in Madurai – National Pedicon 2006, New Delhi.
- Pediatric CNS Tumors in Madurai – National Pedicon 2006, New Delhi.
- Prognosis factors for relapse in Nephrotic Syndrome in children – Dr.V.Balakrishna Raju Award – Sate Pedicon 2006.
CME, WORKSHOPS / CONFERENCE:
2008 – South Pedicon
2009 – Pedigold – Golden Jubilee Celebration
2011 – State Mid-Term Conference, Kodaikanal
2011 – PALS provider course for PG Students.
2012 – PALS provider course for PG Students.
6 – 8 C.M.Es conducted every year in collaboration with India Academy of Paediatrics.
No. of units in the Department - Main Ward – 5 , New Born Ward - 2
OP days & Timings - 7.30 A.M. to 12.00 Noon
I P.U. - Monday
II P.U. - Tuesday
III P.U. - Wednesday
IV P.U. - Thursday
V P.U. - Friday
VI P.U. & VII P.U. - Newborn Units
Bed strength of the Department - 100
Average O.P - Around 10000 / year
Average I.P. - Around 5000 / year in Main Ward
Around 6000 / year in Out Born Ward
SPECIAL CLINICS CONDUCTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
- Nephrology Clinic
- Neurology Clinic
- Cardiology Clinic
- Haematooncology Clinic
- Child Guidance Clinic
- Endocrinology Clinic
- Gastroenterology Clinic
LIST OF LABORATORY TESTS PERFORMED (FOR LABORATORY ATTACHED DEPARTMENTS)
TC, DC, HB, ESR, Platelet Count, BT, CT, CSF, PCV, MP all other investigation done in the Central Laboratory of the Hospital [ GRH ].