DEPARTMENT OF NEUROSURGERY
The department of neurosurgery was started as a combined department of neurosurgery and neurology in the year 1963 by Prof.M.Natarajan who remained the head of the department until 1986. During this period the department grew from a single neurosurgeon manned department to one with three units with three professors and eight assistant professors and with an intake of three neurosurgery resident every year. The department at present has a bed strength of 73 sanctioned beds ,out of which 46 are elective neurosurgery and 27 for head and spine injury. The M.Ch Neurosurgery course was started in the year 1968 and so far 85 Neurosurgeons have qualified from this department and are occupying important position in various private and public sector hospitals across theGlobe. The 50th anniversary of the department of Neurosurgery, Madurai Medical college & Govt. Rajaji Hospital, Madurai is being commemorated this year (2013).
Present status of the Department
The Department has three units with three professors and eight assistant professors and an intake of three neurosurgery resident every year. The department at present has bed strength of 73 sanctioned beds. Out of which 46 are elective neurosurgery and 27 for head and spine injury.
Academic Courses presently going on with Number of seats
M.Ch course in Neurosurgery- 6years and 3 years course. Eligibility for 6 years course is MBBS and for 3 years course is M.S (General Surgery).Sanctioned numbers of seats for the course is 1 seat per year for 6yrs course and 2 seats per year for 3 years course, and affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai. Selection of the residents is through The Tamil Nadu Post graduate Entrance Examination for 6yrs course and The Tamil Nadu Higher Specialty Entrance examination for 3 years course. University examination details. Periodic academic activities are neurosurgery topic presentation followed by clinical case demonstration with discussion on management for all three on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (3 days a week). Neuro Ophthalmology, Neuroradiology classes, journal club and seminars every month.
Number of Faculty sanctioned and Non-Teaching staffs available
Eight Assistant Professors
One neuroradiology Assistant Professor
One lab technician
Prizes and Awards Received by the Faculty & Students
- Sugita scholarship from Nagoya University Japan was awarded to Dr.N.Muthukumar in 1992
- Spine fellowship at LTMG Hospital London was awarded to Dr.D.Kailairajan
- Skull base surgery fellowship from Osaka Medical School Japan was awarded to Dr.N.Muthukumar in 1994
- International fellowship of Congress of Neurological Surgeons, USA was awarded to Dr.N.Muthukumar in 1997
- Resident Dr.N.Arunkumar has won first prize in the MCQ contest conducted at Annual Neurological Society of India conference at NIMHANS Bangalore in December – 2011.
- Muthukumar N, Christopher J: Spontaneous resolution of Chiari I malformation and syringomyelia following parturition. Acta Neurochirugica DOI 10.1007/s00701-013-1620-5.
- Muthukumar N: Choosing a surgical corridor for skull base chordoma. Neurol India 60:566-568;2012
- Muthukumar N: Chiari malformation with syringomyelia: Foramen magnum decompression alone. In Progress in Clinical Neurosciences, 2012.
- Muthukumar N: Timing of surgery and outcome in pituitary apoplexy. In Pituitary Apoplexy. Turgut M, Mahapatra A.K., Powelll M, Muthukumar N(eds.) Springer. (in press)
- Muthukumar N, Santhanakrishnan A.G. , Sivakumar K : Arachnoid cyst masquerading as obstetric brachial plexus palsy- case report. J Neurosurg Spine 10: 62 -62;2012.
- Muthukumar N: Surgical management of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Neurol India. 60: 201-209;2012.
- Muthukumar N: Posterior spinal cord herniation into a thoracic extradural arachnoid cyst. Case report. Journal of Spinal Surgery 2: 482-483, 2011
- Muthukumar N: Presyrinx state and shunt dysfuncion: An underdiagnosed entity? Acta Neurochirurgica;152(11):1969-73; 2010.
- Muthukumar N: Dural ossification in ossification of the ligamentum flavum - A preliminary report. SPINE 34:2654-2661,2009.
- Muthukumar N: Congenital spinal lipomatous malformations. Part I. Classification. Acta Neurochirurgica 151: 179 -188; 2009.
- Muthukumar N: Congenital spinal lipomatous malformations. Part II. Clinical presentation, operative findings, and outcome. Acta Neurochirurgica 151: 189 -197; 2009.
- Muthukumar N, Rossette D, Soundaram M, Senthilbabu S, Badrinarayanan T : Blindness following pituitary apoplexy: Timing of surgery and neuro-ophthalmic outcome. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience Aug;15(8):873-9; 2008
- Muthukumar N, Srisaravanan J: Intramedullary dermoid in a low lying conus tethered by a fatty filum – embryological implications. Acta Neurochirurgica 149:1173-1175,2007.
- Muthukumar N : Terminal and Nonterminal myelocystoceles. Journal of Neurosurgery – Pediatrics 107(2): 87-97, 2007.
- Muthukumar N: Terminal and nonterminal myelocystoceles. – Editorial & Response. Journal of Neurosurgery – Pediatrics 107(2): 85-86, 2007.
- Muthukumar N, Sureshkumar V, Ramesh V.G.: En plaque intradural extramedullary spinal tuberculoma and concurrent intracranial tuberculomata: Paradoxical response to antituberculous therapy. Journal of Neurosurgery – Spine 6: 169 -173, 2007.
- Muthukumar N, Sureshkumar V: Concurrent syringomyelia and intradural extramedullary tuberculoma as late complications of tuberculous meningitis. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience Dec;14(12):1225-30.; 2007 .
- Muthukumar : Terminal syringomyelia communicating with a spinal dermal sinus. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 14: 688-690,2007.
- Muthukumar N: Thoracic myelocystoceles – Two variants. Acta Neurochirurgica (Wien) 148: 751 – 756,2006.
- Muthukumar N, Venkatesh G, Senthilbabu S, Rajbaskar R : Surgery for intramedullary tuberculoma of the spinal cord – report of two cases. Surgical Neurology 66: 69-74;2006.
- Muthukumar N : Sacral agenesis: Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques -Spine and Peripheral Nerves;Richard F. Fessler & Laligam N. Sekhar (eds.), Thieme, New York ; pp765-770; 2006
- Muthukumar N, Venkatesh G, Thiruppathy S : Arrested Hydrocephalus and the “presyrinx” state – case report. Journal of Neurosurgery: (Pediatrics) 103 (5): 466 –470, 2005.
- Muthukumar N: Indications and Need for imaging and newer developments in brain imaging in mild head injury. Indian Journal of Neurotrauma 2:91-98, 2005.
- Muthukumar N, Swaminathan R, Venkatesh G, Bhanumathy SP: Morphometric analysis of the foramen magnum region as it relates to the transcondylar approach . Acta Neurochirurgica 147: 889-895:2005.
- Muthukumar N: Ossification of the ligamentum flavum due to fluorosis causing myelopathy. Neurosurgery 56:622,2005.
- Muthukumar N and Senthilbabu S: Idiopathic hypertrophic cranial pachymeningitis presenting as Tolosa-Hunt syndrome – case report. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 12: 589-592: 2005.
- Muthukumar N : Uncommon cause of sinus thrombosis following closed mild head injury in a child: case report. Child’s Nervous System 21: 85 – 88, 2005.
- Thiruppathy SP and Muthukumar N: Mild head injury : revisited. Acta Neurochirurgica (Wien) 146: 1075 –1083, 2004.
- Muthukumar N : The “Human Tail” : A rare cause of tethered cord. Spine E 478 –479, October 15, 2004.
- Muthukumar N : Anterior cervical arachnoid cysts presenting as traumatic quadriplegia – case reports. Child’s Nervous System 20: 757 –760,2004.
- Muthukumar N: Cerebral Venous sinus thrombosis and Thrombophilia presenting as pseudotumour syndrome following mild head injury-case report. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 11: 924 – 927, 2004.
- Muthukumar N, Karuppaswamy U: Tumoral calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate deposition disease of the ligamentum flavum. Neurosurgery 53:103-109,2003.
- Muthukumar N : Split cord malformation and cystic teratoma masquerading as lipomyelomeningocele. Child's Nervous System 19: 46-49,2003.
- Muthukumar N : Chronic spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma : a rare cause of cervical myelopathy. European Spine Journal 12: 100- 103,2003.
- Muthukumar N, Rajagopal V, Manoharan AV, Durairaj N : Surgical management of cirsoid aneurysms. Acta Neurochirurgica (Wien) 144: 4: 349-356,2002.
- Muthukumar N : Delayed hypoglossal palsy following occipital condyle fracture – case report. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 9: 580- 582,2002.
- Muthukumar N : Embryology of the skull and vertebral column. in Textbook of Neurosurgery, R. Ramamurthi & P.N. Tandon (eds.) 163 -171; volume 1; 3rd edition, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers(P) Ltd. New Delhi; 2012.
- Muthukumar N : Embryology of the brain and spinal cord. in Textbook of Neurosurgery, R. Ramamurthi & P.N. Tandon (eds.) 172-182, volume 1; 3rd edition, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publlishers (P) Ltd. New Delhi; 2012.
- Muthukumar N : Osteoid osteoma : a rare cause of brachial neuralgia. case report. Child's Nervous System. 18:161-163,2002.
- Muthukumar N : Segmental neurofibromatosis-induced cord compression. Case report. Journal of Neurosurgery : Spine 95: 236- 238,2001.
- Muthukumar N : Sacral extradural arachnoid cyst : A rare cause of low back and perineal pain. Case report. European Spine Journal 11: 162 – 166,2002..
- Muthukumar N, Veerarajkumar N, Madeswaran K: Bilateral internuclear ophthalmoplegia following mild head injury – case report. Child's Nervous System 17: (6); 366-369,2001.
- Muthukumar N, Aruthathi J, Sundar V : Split cord malformation and neurenteric cyst : Case report and a theory of embryogenesis. British Journal of Neurosurgery Vol.14,No.:5,480-484,2000.
- Muthukumar N, Subramaniam B, Gnanaseelan T, Rathinam R , Thiruthavadoss A : Tethered cord syndrome in children with anorectal malformations. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2000; April; 92:(4):626 – 630.
- Muthukumar N, Karuppaswamy U, Sankarasubbu S : Calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate deposition disease causing thoracic cord compression: Case report. Neurosurgery 2000; January;46;(1):222-225.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD, Flickinger JC : Stereotactic radiosurgery for jugular foramen schwannomas. Surgical Neurology; 1999; Aug;52;(2)172-179.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD, Flickinger JC : Stereotactic radiosurgery for anterior foramen magnum meningiomas. Surgical Neurology; 1999;Mar; 51(3):268-273.
- Muthukumar N, Sundaralingam MP: Retinocephalic vascular malformation: Case Report. British Journal of Neurosurgery;1998;Oct;12:458-460.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD, Flickinger JC : Stereotactic radiosurgery for tentorial meningiomas. Acta Neurochirugica (Wien) 1998;140 (4):315-320.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD, Flickinger JC : Stereotactic radiosurgery for chordoma and chondrosarcoma : further experiences. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics ;1998;May 41(2):387-392.
- Muthukumar N, Kondziolka D, Lunsford LD : Stereotactic radiosurgery for other skull base lesions. Progress in Neurological Surgery,Karger;Basel; 1998:vol 14:128-144.
- Muthukumar N, Palaniappan P : Tentorial venous sinuses: an anatomic study. Neurosurgery ;1998;Feb:42(2):363-371.
- Muthukumar N : Primary calvarial meningiomas. British Journal of Neurosurgery; 1997;Oct:11:(5):388-392.
- Muthukumar N : Traumatic haemorrhagic optic neuropathy: case report. British Journal of Neurosurgery;1997; April 11(2):166-167.
- Muthukumar N, Palaniappan P, Gajendran R : Tension pneumocephalus complicating lumboperitoneal shunt. Journal of Indian Medical Association. 1996;Dec;94;(12)457-459.
- Muthukumar N: Basal ganglia – internal capsule low density lesions in children with mild head injury. British Journal of Neurosurgery; 1996;June:38(6):1133-1137.
- Muthukumar N : Surgical treatment of nonprogressive neurological deficits in children with sacral agenesis. Neurosurgery;1996;June;38:(6):1133-1137.
- Muthukumar N : Sacral agenesis: Neurological Implications ,in Progress in Clinical Neurosciences,S.Venkatraman,& K. Ganapathy (eds.), Neurological Society of India, 1996
- Muthukumar N, Palaniappan P, Athiappan S, Gajendran R : Anatomical variations of the tentorial venous sinuses. in Surgery of the Intracranial Venous System, A. Hakuba(ed),Springer-Verlag, Tokyo,80-83,1996.
- Muthukumar N : Gradual resolution of an arachnoid cyst after spontaneous rupture into the subdural space. in Neurosurgical Forum Journal of Neurosurgery; 85;121-122.,1996.
- Muthukumar N : Terminal syringomyelia and anorectal anomalies. in Neurosurgical Forum Journal of Neurosurgery;1995;July 83:(1):185-186.
- Muthukumar N: Neuro-ophthalmic manifestations of cerebral hemispheric lesions. in Neuro-Opthalmology , Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai , Third edition, 179-187;1995.
- Gajendran R, Muthukumar N, Pushparaj K, Ashok Kumar N, Gurunathan J : Pituitary astrocytoma (Pituicytoma). Journal of Indian Medical Association. 1994;June;92(6)201.
- Muthukumar N, Gurunathan J, Athiappan S, Gajendran R : Midbrain lesions in early and late deaths following closed head injury. Proceedings of the 1994 International conference on Recent Adavances in Neuro-traumatology, Queensland, Australia, Septmeber, 1994, vol 1:71-73,1994.
- Muthukumar N, Gurunathan J: Sacral agenesis ; in Annual Review of Hydrocephalus; Tokyo, The Japan Spinal Bifida and Hydrocephalus Research Foundation, 1994
- Athiappan S, Muthukumar N, Srinivasan US : Influence of basal cisterns, midline shift and pathology on outcome in head injury. Annals of Academy of Medicine Singapore.1993;May;22(3 supplement):452-455.
- Muthukumar N, Gurunathan J,Athiappan S, Sampathkumar M, Gajendran R : Posttraumatic cerebral infarction. Neurology India (supplement) 41:45-58;1993.
- Muthukumar N, Srinivasan US, Sampathkumar M, Gajendran R : Prognosis in patients with posttraumatic ICH Vs. Contusion. Recent Advances in Neuro-traumatology, Tokyo, Springer-Verlag, 1993;345-348.
- Srinivasan US, Muthukumar N, Sampathkumar M, Gajendran R : A mathematical model for outcome prediction in severe head injury. Recent Advances in Neuro-traumatology, Tokyo, Springer-Verlag, 1993;393-399
- Srinivasan US, Muthukumar N, Sampathkumar m, Gajendran R : An equation for outcome prediction in severe head injury. Neurology India. 40:2:93-96;1992
- Muthukumar N, Gurunathan J, Sampathkumar M, Gajendran R : Sacral agenesis occurring in siblings: case report. Neurosurgery.1992;June;30(6);946-948.
- Muthukumar N, Gurunathan J, Jawahar G, Gajendran R : Occipital lobe infarction caused by tentorial herniation. Journal of Indian Medical Association; 1992; June;90(6):161.
No. of Units, OP Days and Timing, I.P. Unit & Admission Days (Unit Wise)
No of Units 3 Units.
O.P Days Monday to Saturday
Timings 10AM to 12 Noon
Emergency admissions round the clock service.
IP Unit & Admission day (Unit wise)
Unit-I Monday and Thursday
Unit-II Tuesday and Friday
Unit-III Wednesday and Saturday
Sunday - All the 3 units in rotation.
Average O.P 15,000 per year
Average IP Elective admission - 800 per year
Emergency admission – 3,500 per year
Type of surgeries performed (for surgical departments)
PREOPERATIVE POST - OPERATIVE
SYLVIAN FISSURE EPIDERMOID
SKULL BASE SURGERIES
VAGAL PARAGANGLIONOMA AT THE JUGULAR FORAMEN
LATERAL MASS SCREW FIXATION ATLANTO AXIAL DISLOCATION
INTRAOPERATIVE POSTOPERATIVE INTRAOPERATIVE POSTOPERATIVE
Odontoid Screw Fixation
PRE OPERATIVE POST OPERATIVE
Craniotomy and evacuation of extradural hematoma
PRE OPERATIVE INTRA OPERATIVE POST OPERATIVE
- Craniotomy and evacuation of subdural hematoma
- Craniotomy and evacuation of intracranial hematoma
- Depressed fracture elevation
- CSF fistula repair
- Burr hole and tapping of chronic subdural hemorrhage
- Burr hole and tapping of brain abscess
- Extra ventricular drainage
- Ventriculoperitoneal shunt
Conferences conducted by the department
- In 1983 and 2006 Annual Conference of the NSI was conducted by the Neurosurgery Department.
- Spine Conferences in the years 2001,2002,2003 and 2009 were conducted by the Neurosurgery Department.