MADURAI MEDICAL COLLEGE
A long cherished dream of a Medical College at Madurai the Temple City – came into reality in the year 1954 with the great efforts of the National Leader late Thiru K. Kamaraj.
Thirumathi Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the then Hon’ble Minister for Health, the Government of India inaugurated the Institution on 2.8.1954 at the old Taluk Building at the Fair Weather road, Madurai.
The Special Officer Dr. K.P.Sarathy and the first Principal Dr. Tmt. Sarah. J. Sowri were responsible in no small measure for the rapid improvements of the college in a short span of time. The present buildings were occupied by the departments in 1958, till which time they were functioning in the semi-permanent buildings.
The fifty students who were admitted in the first batch were fondly referred to as the “FIRST FIFTY”. The University of Madras to which this Institution was affiliated accorded permanent recognition to this College in the year 1954. The first batch of students of this college got graduated in 1960. The Medical Council of India accorded recognition in 1961. Recognition by the General Medical Council of Great Britain was accorded in 1965.
Dr. C.K. Padmanabha Menon, an astute Administrator and an illustrious teacher took charge as the first Dean in 1963. The Government Rajaji Hospital (then called Erskine Hospital) along with the Madurai Medical College was administered by the Dean. The number of seats of the MBBS Course was increased to 200 in 1963 soon after the Chinese aggression and subsequently it was reduced to 175 in 1971.
The following paramedical courses were started at Madurai Medical College in the years noted against each.
1. Laboratory Technicians Gr.II course - 1959
2. Diploma in Pharmacy - 1960-61
3. Sanitary Inspectors course - 1960-61
4. Certified Radiology Assistant - 1960-61
5. PG Medicine & Surgery - 1963
6. Laboratory Technicians Gr I Course - 1963
7. Bachelor of Pharmacy - 1963
8. Diploma in Orthotics - 1966
9. Master of Pharmacy - 1978
When the Madurai Kamaraj University, (formerly known as Madurai University) was established, the Madurai Medical College was affiliated to it. Subsequently when the Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University was started, like all other College in the state, Madurai Medical College also was affiliated to it. A well-equipped library with adequate collection of textbooks and journals in various fields of Medical disciplines is attached to the Madurai Medical College. The Library has got the facility of MEDLAR, a medical information retrieving system which is a great boon to the student community. Many departments undertake research works with grant from I.C.M.R. and Tamilnadu State Research Scheme. A well-maintained Animal House is available for this purpose and it is under the care of qualified Veterinary Assistant Surgeon. The World Health Organization has chosen this Institution to undertake research projects on Human Reproduction and Population Dynamics.
An Infectious Disease Hospital and Thoracic Medicine Hospital, Thoppur for patients with chest diseases are attached to this Institution. A peripheral wing of the Government Rajaji Hospital, to cater to the needs of the public of the southern parts of Madurai was stated at Balarengapuram in 1976. A Centre for Rehabilitation of the Blind is also attached to this Institution. This College was one of the first four Medical Colleges in India to which the Government of India had sanctioned a Mobile Training Cum Service Centre in 1971 and its work had been applauded on the floors of Lok Sabha by Brig.B.N. Sinha, the then President of Indian Medical Council.
This College is not lagging behind in taking care of the rural population, the lung of India, as the students (House Surgeons) and the Medical staffs partake in the Rural Mobile Service team under ‘ROME’ scheme which visits the adjoining rural centers daily.
The Institution celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the year 1980. To commemorate this, a specious, well-furnished, modern Auditorium was constructed.
The present members of staff and students of this prestigious Institution owe responsibility to uphold the fair name of this Institution and to strain every nerve of theirs to make the Institution one of the best all over the world as the College celebrated its Golden Jubilee by the year 2004.
The phenomenal growth of the Institution in different branches during the span of 57 years is commendable. The fruits we enjoy now are due to the painstaking efforts of the successive Heads of this Institution. The staff also had spared no efforts to make this Institution world renowned. Many prominent citizens of Madurai also played a vital role in the development of this Institution.
A QUICK SURVEY OF THE COLLEGE
Situated in the heart of the Temple city, this magnificent college stands as a living testimony for the relentless efforts of the pioneers behind the establishment of the institution.
The three-storied college building encompasses:
Institute of Pharmacology
Lecture Hall – L4
Lecture hall and laboratory – Physiology
Department of Biochemistry
Lecture Hall – L1
Department of Forensic Medicine
Institute of Microbiology & Voluntary counseling and Testing Center for AIDS
Office of the Dean and the Vice-Principal
Lecture Hall – L3
Indian overseas bank MMC Branch
Institute of Physiology
Central Photographic Unit
Lecture Hall – L2
Department of Pathology
Institute of Community Medicine
Institute of Anatomy & Dissection hall
Museum – Anatomy, Pathology
Pathology Demonstration hall
Central Animal house
The college building has four Lecture Halls for the clinical subjects besides separate Lecture Halls for Basic Sciences.
The Pharmacy blocks, concerned with the B.Pharm. / D.Pharm. / M.Pharm also lodges the Biology hall, a venue for conducting examinations and cultural functions. The new building of Pharmacy lecture hall block also contains a well-furnished Computer education center in its ground floor apart from three lecture halls.
The college guesthouse having two suites is situated adjacent to the Ladies hostel, to accommodate external examiners to the college.
Silver Jubilee Auditorium:
Silver Jubilee Auditorium with a seating capacity of 750 in the ground and about 300 in the balcony is located in our campus for conducting college functions and meetings.
Central Medical Stores:
There is a central medical store, which is the storehouse through which all the chemicals, reagents etc. required for the departments are distributed. Additional Medical and Surgical store is also located in the hospital to fulfill the requirements and emergency needs of the hospital.
National Cadet Corps:
NCC, 2TN (Med) company having one Senior Division and 13Junior Divisions in Madurai District functions with its office in our college, conducts training sessions twice a week. Frequently it indulges the students in trekking, conducting annual training camps to senior division & junior division NCC cadets and shooting practices. It conducts examinations for which, accordingly A,B and C certificates are awarded.
Maintenance of the college buildings both Civil and Electrical works is undertaken by ‘The Public Works Department, of Tamilnadu Government and it has its office inside the college premises
GOVERNMENT RAJAJI HOSPITAL
The Government Rajaji Hospital, the erstwhile Erskine Hospital affiliated to this college is the oldest and an illustrious establishment in Madurai district catering to the health needs of the adjacent southern districts of Tamilnadu.
Opened as early as 1842, it was converted into a teaching institution on 4th august, 1955. Recently, Speciality Clinics such as Geriatrics, Breast clinic, Diabetic Foot, Accident cum Resuscitation wards have started functioning.
The total numbers of beds in the hospital - 2218
Approximate No. of outpatients every day - 8500
It has all special departments furnished with necessary modern equipments including CT scan, MRI, Laparoscopy, 24hrs biochemistry lab is functional on all 365 days with full investigations ect.
The CRRI students are posted for training and service in various departments of the hospital as a part of their curriculum.
Newly opened 300 bed trauma ward about 29 cr have started functioning.
Another 150 cr project of superspeciality hospital has been planned to come up for public service by couple of years .